1. Neil Patrick Harris. Seriously. What can’t he do?!
That opening song-and-dance number with Anna Kendrick and Jack Black was awesome and the cool screen special effects they used to recreate famous movie moments were incredible. And whoever wrote those song lyrics did a fantastic job.
The magic trick with his Oscar predictions in that briefcase was way cool.
His hysterical one-liners roasting the too-cool-for-school, uppity atmosphere and mocking the problems with the movie industry were fantastic.
I saw a bit of negativity online and I’d like to say something to the haters. Anyone criticizing Neil needs to realize that many jokes and NPH’s sense of humor clearly went right over the heads of all the ego-tistical, stick up their butt, stodgy Oscar actors and actresses who weren’t laughing and making it awkward.
This is what Neil does at the Tonys and he always kills because the audience is receptive and is there to have fun. I’ll admit there was one or two jokes that fell flat, but that falls on the shoulders of the group of people who pre-scripted the material for the event. So, if you want someone to blame, blame the joke writers and the audience. Don’t blame Neil.
NPH brought his musical talents, smart jokes, quirky sense of humor, and Tonys vibe to the Oscars tonight. And I thought he KILLED IT!
2. SOUND OF MUSIC TRIBUTE!! LADY GAGA. I was totally tearing up during this part. She totally knocked it out of the park. Simply stunning and breaktaking. I was speechless. Why wasn’t Gaga in the TV live-action re-make of The Sound of Music?!
3. AND THEN…Julie FREAKIN Andrews came out! Who is one of the loveliest creatures ever to grace the planet. And she and Gaga had a beautiful moment together. The whole Sound of Music tribute with these two beauties, Julie and Gaga, was hands-down my favorite part of the night.
4. Jennifer Hudson singing the SMASH song, “I Can’t Let Go,” for the In Memorium!!! I’VE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN!!! Jennifer is so stunning and talented. Also, #PetitionToBringBackSMASH!!
5. Tegan and Sara. Lonely Island. Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo. Questlove. All singing ‘Everything Is Awesome!’ EVERYTHING REALLY IS AWESOME! The only thing that would have made that better was if The Lego Movie would have gotten an Oscar nomination…and maybe some dancing sharks. Also, I want a Lego Oscar statue.
6. FEAST WON FOR BEST ANIMATED SHORT!!!!!! AND BIG HERO 6 WON FOR BEST ANIMATED FILM! The only two films I actually cared about winning tonight, won!!! HUZZA!!!
And the shout-out Patrick Osbourne, creator of Feast, gave to us Cincinnatians!!
7. "To every woman who gave birth to every taxpayer and citizen of this nation, we have fought for everybody else's equal rights. It's our time to have wage equality once and for all, and equal rights for women in the United States of America." - Patricia Arquette
8. The conductor and the orchestra members for the night were phenomenal. They flowed from one classic film and theatre song into another.
9. Neil, Idina Menzel, and John Travolta making jokes on jokes on jokes about the whole Adele Dazeem situation.
10. Reese Witherspoon on the red carpet plugging the #AskHerMore campaign, which requests that entertainment media sources recognize women in the industry for their work, rather than the way they look. The campaign encourages interviewers to ask tasteful questions rather than questions about salacious gossip, crass innuendo, and talk that sexualizes women.
11. ‘Come What May’ was playing when Nicole Kidman came out to present.
12. So many Grand Budapest Hotel wins!!!!
13. The foreign film winner for Ida, Pawel Pawlikowski, who not only made jokes about how his film was about silence and the irony of being surrounded currently by the epicenter of noise, but he talked for so long that they had to play the ‘go away’ music twice to get him off the stage. He was like, ‘Screw the goodbye music. I’m gonna talk.’
14. Shirley MacLaine presenting, bitches. Stand up and show some respect….
15. “Call your parents. If you’re lucky enough to have a parent or two alive, call them. Don’t text, don’t email. Call them. Listen to them for as long as they want to talk to you.” –JK Simmons
16. "We should talk about suicide. Out loud." –Dana Perry
17. Meryl EFFING Streep presenting. She could play Spiderman and still be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen…
18. John Legend singing ‘Glory’ live with that gospel choir was breathtaking. His voice is ‘like butter.’
19. “Stay weird, stay different." –Graham Moore
20. Whoever did the set design and lighting for the Oscars did a wonderful job. Everything was so magical and sparkly.
1. I know who the Oscar CERTAINLY doesn’t go to and that is the sound people. Every song and musical performance was so beautiful, but was being ruined and dampened by the fact that the audio was so echo-y and the performances sounded like they were from a phone recording. Just dreadful. Whoever dropped the ball should be fired.
2. Who in the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks left Joan Rivers and Elaine Stritch out of the In Memorium. I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman…“Big Mistake!”
3. John Travolta stop touching Idina’s face. It’s creepy.